Professor, American Government Coordinator
Office Hours (Fall 2021)
Online only; email to request a link
PhD, University of Texas at Austin, 2005
Seth C. McKee is a Professor of Political Science at Oklahoma State University. Previously, McKee taught at Texas Tech University (2013-2020), the University of South Florida St. Petersburg (2006-2013), and the University of North Carolina at Charlotte (2005-2006). He received his Ph.D. in Government from the University of Texas in 2005, a Masters degree in Economics (1998), and a Bachelors degree in Political Science (1996) from Oklahoma State University. McKee is a scholar of American politics with expertise in Southern Politics, Political Parties, Political Behavior (campaigns and elections, political participation, and public opinion), American Institutions (Presidency and Congress), and Redistricting. He has published numerous articles on such topics as political participation, public opinion, vote choice, redistricting, party switching, minority representation, strategic voting behavior, and state legislative voting behavior. McKee is the author of Republican Ascendancy in Southern U.S. House Elections (Routledge 2010), the editor of Jigsaw Puzzle Politics in the Sunshine State (University Press of Florida 2015), and author of the textbook, The Dynamics of Southern Politics: Causes and Consequences (CQ Press 2019). McKee serves on the editorial boards of American Politics Research and Political Behavior, and is the Editor in Chief of Political Research Quarterly (find it on Twitter @PRQjournal).
A prolific writer and frequent political commentator, McKee has a passion for studying American elections.
Southern Politics, Political Parties, Political Behavior, The U.S. Presidency and Congress, and Redistricting
Google Scholar Profile: https://scholar.google.com/citations?user=GZEuucoAAAAJ&hl=en
- Hicks, William D., Seth C. McKee, and Daniel A. Smith. 2021. “Contemporary Views of Liberal Democracy and the 2016 Presidential Election.” PS: Political Science & Politics 54(1): 33-40.
- Bullock III, Charles S., William D. Hicks, M. V. Hood III, Seth C. McKee, and Daniel A. Smith. 2020. “The Election of African American State Legislators in the Modern South.” Legislative Studies Quarterly 45(4): 581-608.
- McKee, Seth C. Forthcoming. An Untold Story: Rural Republican Realignment in the Modern South, with M. V. Hood III. Columbia: University of South Carolina Press
- McKee, Seth C. 2019. The Dynamics of Southern Politics: Causes and Consequences. Thousand Oaks, CA: CQ Press
- Robert N. Lupton and Seth C. McKee 2020. “Dixie’s Drivers: Core Values and the Southern Republican Realignment.” Journal of Politics 82(3): 921-936.