Thank you for considering a gift to help support the Department of Political Science. These gifts help promote the continued growth and development in our program, and allow us to offer our students a better educational experience. Private support has been critical in helping meet the needs of the department and our students.
We always welcome monetary gifts, but donating your time and expertise can be just as useful to our department. If you have ideas for how you might support political science students at OSU through mentoring, giving guest lectures, helping to run undergraduate workshops, or assisting current students in finding internships or jobs, let us know! You can contact us directly through email or call us at 405-744-5569.
For our fundraising, we work with the OSU Foundation, a private fundraising organization affiliated with Oklahoma State University which works to united donor and university passions and priorities to achieve improve the OSU experience.
Greatest needs for the Department
Our Political Science Excellence Fund allows us to bring important speakers to campus, send undergraduate and graduate students to professional conferences and workshops, organize activities for the broader Stillwater community, support student and faculty research, recruit new members, and fund activities and workshops that help build a better community within the department.
Scholarships & Fellowships
Due to rising education costs, over 80% of college students now rely on some form of financial assistance to support their education. The Department of Political Science believes that it is important to support our best and brightest students to make sure that achieving a college degree can become a financial reality, but we need your help to accomplish this goal. You can donate to any of the following undergraduate scholarships and fellowships by clicking on the name of the award.
- The Bohannon Award for Excellence in Political Science funds a full time junior or senior majoring in Political Science who has demonstrated financial need with the Financial Aid Office.
- The Raymond & Afaaf Habiby Endowed Scholarship demonstrates our commitment to global education and awareness by supporting a full time student with interest in the following areas (listed in order of preference): politics of the Middle East, politics of Europe or Africa, or International Relations.
- The A.R. "Bert" Larason President's Distinguished Scholarship is given to a full time OSU junior majoring in Political Science, and provides funds for that student's junior and senior years.
- The Franz A. Von Sauer Scholarship supports a full time Political Science student who has demonstrated excellence in scholarship first, and leadership and/or service second.
- The Paul W. Matthews Endowed Scholarship funds a full time Political Science student, with a preference given to sophomores and juniors.
- The Guy R. Donnell Scholarship provides support for a full time Political Science student who possesses an academic record demonstrating excellence in scholarship first and leadership second.
- Created in honor of a former OSU professor, the Harold V. Sare Award Fund supports a full time Political Science student who has demonstrated excellence in scholarship first, and leadership and/or service second.
You can read more about the application requirements for each of these awards by clicking here. Additional awards include the Paying It Forward for Political Science Scholarship, the Glencross Endowed Scholarship in Political Science, and the Dianne & Stanley Sheldon Scholarship in Political Science.
Endowed Chairs & Professor Support
Quality faculty help build a quality program, and the Department of Political Science's endowed chairs allow us to recruit experts in the field. The resources of an endowed professor position contributes to excellence in research and teaching, and has an immeasurable impact on student learning and engagement. The department has two major endowed chairs, the Hannah D. Atkins Professor for Political Science & Government Information and the Dean Stringer Endowed Chair in Political Science.
The above links provide opportunities for private donations, but there are number of other ways to contribute. Donors who are interested in establishing planned gifts may consult the OSU Foundation Estate Planning page to learn about how they can create a lasting legacy at Oklahoma State University. You might also consider whether your corporate employer has a matching gift program, which would allow you to effectively double or even triple the impact of your personal contribution.
Monetary contributions and gifts of equipment or supplies may be tax deductible, but you should consult the OSU Foundation and your tax attorney if you have any questions about your donation.